Sunday 31 July 2016

It's Complicated

I'm not a creative person. I can't draw for toffee and even the thought of playing Pictionary brings me out in a sweat. I think that's why I love quilting. I can get the whole experience of creating something beautiful without actually having to think up the pattern. The most stressful part of the process is choosing the fabric - mind you, that is VERY stressful, just ask my quilting friends!!

The bit I really love is the maths behind it all. I love working out how to piece a block and make it come out to the size I need. I love the intricacy of fitting the pieces together. This often leads me to pick patterns that are really a bit above my skill level. That was true of my latest finish.  I saw a picture of one of Robert DeCarli's quilts and immediately had to track down the book it came from - Remarkable Rectangles.

I really love the pattern I chose but it was such hard work that I doubt I shall make another.  When friends asked me what I was working on I always said "It's complicated".  That's why, although the book calls this pattern Red Lion I've called it "It's Complicated"


 
Of course, Jeremy had to get in on the act!!
 
 
Originally I had intended to make it bigger so I bought extra fabric. In the end it was so tricky that I just added extra borders and used the excess to make a table runner using the Hunter's Star block.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment